Saturday, April 21, 2012

I got tired of waiting to be on one of those HGTV shows.. so...

I re-did the bathroom myself... not ALL by myself. I had help from several family members and I hired some people to do some stuff. The first picture was taken on July 29, 2011. And presto chango, 7 or 8 months later, we are done! The original plan was to just replace the shower, before I knew it the entire bathroom was gutted. I tend to go overboard on things sometimes. Features include...
- Custom cabinets made by my dad (we now have more storage space than bathrooms twice the size-except for soap we don't have to keep anything on the counter!)
- Custom shower, shower curtain and curtain hooks-sorta (I had to reshape store bought hooks to change the pivot point to work better with the ceiling mounted track system).
- Custom art work by Bethany
- Electronic bidet toilet seat - thanks to Japan who had these things everywhere, I had to have one.. I couldn't go on without it.
- New plumbing - put in a new shower valve; pipe sweating done by yours truly. Plumbing for the sinks had to be re-positioned to accommodate the design of the vanity.
- Custom shaped granite counter top.
- New base boards, added crown molding (thanks for the help on that too dad!)
- Added a wall to create some separation with the toilet from the rest of the room and in doing so we were able to add a second medicine cabinet; had to add some walls for the shower
- The shower has a nice little foot rest for those in the household who like to shave their legs. Instead of a tiny little niche in the wall for soap and stuff a shelf was built that spans the entire width of the shower.

I thought the theme from Tetris (performed by The London Philharmonic Orchestra) was somewhat fitting since something like this is kind of like a puzzle.
Feel free to watch the whole sequence or skip ahead to about 3 minutes for the before and after side-by-sides.

2 comments:

Mark and Beatrix Houghton said...

Your bathroom is the winner of home remodels for the year. I absolutely love it!!!!! I am also envious about the double sink. Beautiful job. The Russian folksong theme .... I like what Tom Brier did with it better than the London Phil.

M Taylor said...

It looks AWESOME!!!! I love watching the transformation.